Potato Picking & Grading Backpackers Jobs in Australia for Foreigners: Because potatoes can be grown all over Australia at different times of the year, they are the best option for backpackers in Australia who want to work on a Working Holiday Visa. It is also a good option for those who want to extend their Holiday Work Visa for a second or third year. Potatoes thrive in all Australian states, growing in both warm and cold climates.
Potatoes can grow in any container, small patch, or raised bed. The only thing to remember is that they should not be grown during frost season because they require nearly 90 days of free and extreme cold. Similarly, excessively hot weather (as in January and February) is not ideal. Potatoes are by far the most important vegetable crop grown in Australia, according to Aus Veg. This indicates the availability of jobs for Potato Harvest Workers/Potato Picking Workers. Today’s post features an incredible opportunity provided by the Mitolo Group for our subscribers in Adelaide, South Australia. Continue reading for all important job details and descriptions, including skill and experience requirements, visa options,
Details of Potato Picking & Grading Backpackers Jobs in Australia for Foreigners
- Job Country: Australia.
- Employer’s location: Virginia, Adelaide, Australia.
- Employer’s name: Mitolo Family Farms.
- Industry: Agriculture/ Farm Jobs
- Job Title: Potatoe Harvest Workers/ Potatoe Pickers/ Potato Farm Workers.
- Job type: Part-time/ Rotating Shift basis. (Finishing time can vary).
- Experience Required: No
- Knowledge Required: Not High
- Age Limit: No
- Visa Sponsorship: Varies from one employer to another.
- Valid visa types: 2nd and 3rd year working holiday visa, Work visa, Seasonal worker visa, Student visa, and PR holders.
- Accommodation: Varies from one employer to another.
- Expected Salary: AUD 22.03 with %15 for PM Loading.
- Expected Season: All around the year but not during extreme weather.
Potato Harvest Season in South Australia
Because South Australia has soil that can grow potatoes 365 days a year, potatoes can be planted at almost any time of year. The best yield, however, is obtained in late winter/early spring or late summer/autumn. Potatoes thrive in the cooler months of spring and autumn. Potatoes usually mature in 90-120 days after planting. Potatoes are harvested in South Australia between December and February in hot weather, and between June and August in cold weather.
Requirements of Potato Picking & Grading Backpackers Jobs in Australia
- Candidate must be physically fit and strong enough to carry a heavy picking bag weighing between 2 and 20 kg, as well as climb up and down ladders.
- The candidate must be able to work long hours and overtime.
- The candidate must be adaptable in the workplace and a team player.
- Previous experience in potato picking/packing is preferred but not required.
- The candidate must be in their second or third year of a Working Holiday visa.
- The candidate should be able to arrange their own lodging.
- Because there is no public transportation nearby, the candidate should be able to transport himself.
- The candidate should be skilled at inspection and grading.
- The candidate must work for a few days in order to learn the technique required to become a quick picker. In other words, it is on-the-job training.
- The candidate must ensure his own safety.
- Self-motivated, with a positive attitude.
Responsibilities for Potato Picking & Grading Backpackers Jobs in Australia
- Potato plants are manually cultivated and pruned.
- Taking care of farms by weeding, rock picking, hoeing weeds, racking old leaves, loosening the soil around the plants, leveling the earth, and so on.
- Manually thinning apples from the trees.
- Keeping track of packing bag stock in relation to the expected level of total production. Getting the bags ready for harvesting.
- Farm cleaning.
- The candidate must be able to return on short notice.
- Getting rid of overripe or rotten potatoes, as well as defective bags.
- Potato grading and inspection are completed.
- Handling bags weighing 2 to 20 kg.
- Load graded potatoes into packaging bags, taking care to avoid any damage.
- Some graders/packers must also drive tractors or other vehicles to transport fruit and vegetables to the packing shed.
- Stacking and packing packaged potatoes without causing damage.
Benefits of Potatoe Picker/ Grader Jobs
- Level 1 has a base hourly rate of $22.03 with a 15% loading for evening shifts.
- All Leave Benefits.
- The Mittolo Family owns a number of farms in Adelaide. The current job posting is looking for candidates in two locations: Angle Vale Road, Virginia, and Taylors Road, Penfield Gardens.
- Shifts are rotated every three weeks. AM shifts begin at 5 a.m. Monday through Saturday and PM shifts begin at 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Adelaide also has a large number of potato farms due to the favorable growing conditions.
How to apply for Potato Picking/ Grading Backpackers Jobs in Australia?
- You will be directed to the official job search portal by clicking on the link below; use the application button provided below the job description.
- You can also use the search box and the location box to narrow down your job search results. Fill in the blanks with your job title, such as “Farm Jobs in Australia for Foreigners/with Visa Sponsorship”, “Farm Jobs in Australia for Working Holiday Workers”, “Vegetable Picking / Grading Jobs in Australia for Foreigners/with Visa Sponsorship”, “Potato Picking or Grading Jobs in Australia for Foreigners”, “Agriculture Jobs for Working Holiday Visa”, “Agriculture Jobs in Australia with Visa Sponsorship”.
- Select Tasmania, Australia from the location bar to the right of the search bar.
- It is preferable to update your CV or Resume and Cover letter in accordance with current market trends, as your employer may notice the layout/presentation.
- Examine the job posting’s specifics, such as the job description, job requirements, job responsibilities, and so on.
- Before applying, make sure you meet all of the requirements. Examine the job description and its requirements thoroughly.
- Click the “Online Application” button to the right.
- Fill out the required information and submit the application.
- Check to see if you received a confirmation email for your job application.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Benefits of Potatoe Picker/ Grader Jobs
Level 1 has a base hourly rate of $22.03 with a 15% loading for evening shifts.
All Leave Benefits.
The Mittolo Family owns a number of farms in Adelaide. The current job posting is looking for candidates in two locations: Angle Vale Road, Virginia, and Taylors Road, Penfield Gardens.
Shifts are rotated every three weeks. AM shifts begin at 5 a.m. Monday through Saturday and PM shifts begin at 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Adelaide also has a large number of potato farms due to the favorable growing conditions.
What is the Salary of Potatoe Picker/ Grader Jobs
Expected Salary: AUD 22.03 with %15 for PM Loading.