Fulbright Scholarship 2023: Applying for and receiving the renowned Fulbright Scholarship is one of the best ways to enter the United States and study without spending any money. This scholarship, a program of the U.S. Department of State, is offered in 160 countries, with Pakistan being the largest recipient since 2005. The application period for Fulbright Scholarships for 2024 is now open, and the deadline is August 12, 2023.
If you are interested in pursuing a postgraduate degree (Master’s or Ph.D.) in the United States, continue reading for information on eligibility and the application process.
Fulbright Scholarship Pakistan
If you receive this scholarship, the following will be covered in full:
- Settling-in allowance
- A computer
- Health insurance
- A living stipend
- Visa fees
You are eligible for this scholarship if you meet the following requirements:
- You are a citizen and resident of Pakistan
- You have a solid academic foundation.
- You have a high level of written and spoken English fluency. You intend to return to Pakistan upon completion of your studies in the United States (within 30 days of completion of your degree program)
- If you are applying for a master’s degree, you must have a Bachelor’s degree or a Bachelor’s degree and a Master’s degree (overall a total of 16 years of formal education)
- If you are applying for a Ph.D., you must have a master’s degree, M.Phil, or an equivalent degree (overall a total of 18 years of formal education)
- You hold a degree(s) from an institution with accreditation.
Who is strongly encouraged to submit an application?
The following academic fields are particularly encouraged to apply for a Fulbright Scholarship:
- Climate Change
Who Cannot Apply?
There are also a few Don’ts for a Fulbright Scholarship. For instance, you cannot apply for:
- If you wish to pursue further education in the field of clinical medicine, click here.
- If you are a dual U.S./Pakistani citizen or if your spouse, siblings, parent, or child over the age of 18 is a U.S. national or permanent resident, you are exempt from this requirement.
- If you are an employee of the United States Department of State, the Fulbright Organization, or USAID. In such a case, neither you nor your spouse, children, dependents, siblings, parents, or fiance will be eligible to apply.
- If you have previously received this scholarship, you are not eligible to receive it again.
- If you are already living in the United States, regardless of your immigration status, you must apply for citizenship.
How To Apply for a Fulbright Scholarship?
Now that you are aware you can apply, all you must do is:
- Complete the application form.
- Submit three letters of recommendation online.
- You may also be required to provide your TOEFL score.
- Scan and submit your academic transcripts. Transcripts attested by the HEC are preferred.
What Happens After You’ve Applied?
Typically, the application period for Fulbright Scholarships begins in January or February and ends in April or May. Once an application has been submitted, it is evaluated and the candidate is interviewed (in-person or virtually), a process that could last until September. If you submit your application by April 12, 2023, you will be notified by mid-October 2023 regarding your eligibility for this scholarship. You will be notified via email and an official letter of acceptance.
If you receive a Fulbright Scholarship, you will have until February 2024 to submit a university application. Once accepted to a university, visa interviews could take place as early as June 2024. After receiving a visa, you would be able to fly to the United States beginning in July 2024. Most US universities begin the Fall semester in August/September.
What Occurs Upon Receiving a Fulbright Scholarship?
If you have applied for a master’s degree and are awarded a Fulbright Scholarship, you will be required to sign a contract with The United States Educational Foundation in Pakistan (USEFP). You will be required to return to Pakistan upon completion of your master’s degree.
If you have applied for a Ph.D., USEFP will require you to sign a bond obligating you to immediately return to Pakistan upon completion of your studies. You will then be required to reside in Pakistan for the same amount of time you spent in the United States.
Anyone who violates this agreement may be required to reimburse USEFP for all scholarship funds, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many Fulbright Scholarships are awarded each year?
Variable, but approximately 150 Fulbright Scholarships will be awarded in 2024.
What GRE score is required for a Fulbright Scholarship?
A score of at least 145 on each section of the exam and a higher score on the section most relevant to your field of study in the United States.
Can people with MBA and MBBS apply?
Yes. However, MBA graduates must have 16 years of formal, accredited education and two years of work experience (recommended but not required). It is not permitted for MBBS graduates to pursue further studies in clinical medicine. They can apply for a degree with a focus on research, such as Public Health, etc.